Thank you to everyone who made our launch such a tremendous success. If you missed the event, you can view the videos here.
Friday, June 17, 10 a.m. (ET) to 3 p.m. (ET)
The Global Opportunity Initiative has an important goal: to improve the career opportunity of millions of people through workforce learning.
- For workers: career navigation and education so they can increase their income and job satisfaction.
- For small businesses: training and tools to help leaders expand opportunity by improving the way they manage their businesses and workers.
- For all organizations: practices, tools, examples, and collaboration opportunities to help organizations innovate their workforce learning activities.
No single organization can meet this challenge alone. We’ll do it only by creating a movement. A community of members — companies, non-profits, governments, student groups, and entrepreneurs – who can share their practices and learn from each other. While each member focuses on what it cares most about, the GOI will curate best practices, conduct world-leading research, and help each member organization to succeed. We’ll help organizations to help people and communities to thrive.
Schedule (all times ET)
10:00-10:20 Introducing the Global Opportunity Initiative
- Sanjay Sarma, Vice President for Open Learning (MIT)
- George Westerman, Founder (GOI)
10:20-11:10 Panel: Non-profit change-makers
- Tana Wuliji, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Charles Bodwell, International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Peter Hirst, MIT Executive Education
- Lana Cook, MIT Open Learning and Refugee Action Hub (Moderator)
11:20-12:10 Panel: Corporate approaches to career development
- Steve Suarez, HSBC
- Melissa Swift, Mercer
- Vipin Gupta, Toyota
- Julie Dervin, Cargill
12:10-1:00 Panel: Research insights for career development
- William Bonvillian, MIT
- John Horton, MIT
- Bledi Taska, Emsi Burning Glass
- Kathleen Kennedy, MIT Center for Collective Intelligence (Moderator)
1:10-2:00 Panel: Wicked challenges in workforce learning
- Katie Hall, claira
- Mariana Costa, Laboratoria
- Phil Bush, Rockwell Automation
- Charlie Boyle, Customer Service Excellence Ireland
- Vijay Kumar, MIT J-WEL (Moderator)
2:00-2:30 Keynote speaker
- Van Ton-Quinlivan, Futuro Health
2:30-3:00 Closing and next steps
We would like to acknowledge the generous support from the MIT Jameel World Education Lab in launching this important initiative.